“When I am frightened, I shall master my fear.”
Title: His Dark Materials
Adapter From: His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
Writers/ Directors: Jack Thorne, Jamie Childs, William McGregor, Otto Bathurst, Tom Hooper, Euros Lyn, Dawn Shadforth
Main Actors: Dafne Keen, Ruth Wilson, James McAvoy, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Anne-Marie Duff, James Cosmo, Ariyon Bakare
Release Date: 3 November 2019
Number of Episodes and Duration: 8 episodes, each about an hour long
Rating: 4/5 stars
- I remember nothing from the books, to be honest.
- This theme song is so beautiful? Who composes the music?
- Ahh, it’s Lorne Balfe.
- I can’t remember exactly if Mrs. Coulter is good or bad, but I’m immediately suspicious.
- I want a daemon.
- I have only seen James McAvoy in X-Men, but I can tell he’s a really good actor.
- It’s a bit slow at the beginning, but I’m sure the pay-off will be worth it.
- To be honest, I can understand where Mrs. Coulter is coming from. Only strong woman in a society ruled by men.
- Pan is such a cutie.
- Can I just say how much I’m loving Dafne Keen as Lyra? How is she that talented?
- The Gyptians seem like the only sane people in the world.
- Ahhh yes, I remember the children going missing in the book.
- Why can no one ever give a straight answer to the “Why am I special?” question?
- I honestly thought that daemon was pronounced “day-mon”.
- Okay, so…I’m guessing parallel worlds?
- I wonder what my daemon’s shape would be when it settled?
- Uh…Mrs. Coulter is scaring me.
- Yooh…Lyra’s parents have a messed up backstory.
- This alitheometer-thing is stressing me out.
- I swear this music will kill me with its beauty.
- What the actual fudge (Non-spoilery context: An elevator, a falling boy, and a vanishing daemon)
- Hey, look! It’s Lin-Manuel Miranda! And his daemon is a rabbit?
- Oohhh, I’m loving the witches!
- I hope Mrs. Coulter’s daemon gets a redemption arc. It seems like it isn’t as evil as she is. And why doesn’t it talk?
- Mrs. Coulter is such a force of nature, to be honest. A scary one, though.
- Umm…Armored bears are so cool?
- Ma Costa and Lee Scoresby are precious and they must be protected at all costs.
- I’m telling you this with tears in my eyes: Any show that can make me cry is worth watching.
- Roger is such a cutie.
- Yooh…Is that Andrew Scott?
- Mrs. Coulter is most definitely unhinged.
- Witches are so cool.
- I’m so glad the only American they cast in this series was Lin-Manuel Miranda.
- It should be illegal for an episode to end on such a horrible cliffhanger.
- The floors where the bears live are so red…
- Can I be like Lyra when I grow up?
- I’m loving the way the animals look.
- Poor Elaine. There’s definitely something fishy going on, but everyone writes her off as crazy.
- YEAH LYRA SILVERTONGUE! (This I remember from the books, too)
- Wow, James McAvoy. Just wow.
- Uhhh…what?? How can it end like that??
Last few thoughts:
I think my thoughts should tell you how much I enjoyed this series. Yeah, it was a bit slow at the beginning of the series, but I can understand why. Viewers are immediately thrust into a new world and they take baby-steps for us to understand what’s going on. I appreciate that. I honestly have no idea how true this adaption stays to the book, but so far I’ve heard only good things.
- Incredibly strong acting (especially from a stunningly talented Dafne Keen)
- The music gave me chills and it made me cry.
Have you watched His Dark Materials? What did you think?
Till we meet again!